When Pittsboro says “so long” to summer, the quaint town is transformed into a beautiful landscape filled with the hues of autumn. With a mild fall climate, residents of Ryan’s Crossing can enjoy outdoor activities well into the season and Chatham County delivers numerous must-do options. Whether you are a traditionalist waiting for the pumpkin patches to open or one who prefers something unique, the spirit of the season is abundant in central North Carolina.
- Walkers, hikers, runners, and bikers love to hit the trails as the leaves turn to experience a brand-new view while enjoying the fresh, crisp air. Locally, Jordan Lake State Park offers tranquil forest trails and shimmering waters. Seen by foot, by pedal, or by boat, the views are spectacular. Prefer to sit still? Bring a picnic lunch and look for eagles as they soar over the lake.
- A few minutes south of Jordan Lake is the White Pines Nature Preserve – an often-overlooked gem for the outdoor enthusiast. Nearly 6 miles of trails meander 285 acres created to conserve the White Pine tree which is typically found in cooler climates. During the Ice Age, the White Pine was plentiful in North Carolina but has since all but disappeared. This spot has maintained a small population as is perfectly nestled between large bluffs and two rivers.
- A day drive is another perfect way to enjoy the kaleidoscope of colors produced throughout Chatham County. Located among winding roads and rolling hills, the area provides a natural landscape that shines in the fall. The famed Blue Ridge Parkway sneaks through the western edge of the county – a gateway to glorious views. Locally, Old Graham or Hanks Chapel roads are perfect for a quick canopy experience of the changing foliage.
- The land surrounding Pittsboro is home to numerous farms and orchards that open their gates to thousands of visitors during the fall months. Apples and pumpkins await, accessed by hayrides while sipping freshly pressed cider.
- Maple View Farm is known for its delectable homemade ice cream and in the fall a stop here gets even better. Visitors can explore a pumpkin patch, enjoy a hayride, and navigate a corn maze. Set among rolling pastures, the farm also hosts live music events throughout the season.
- Labor Day weekend is for the Silk Hope! The Silk Hope Old-Fashioned Farmer’s Day is a celebration of the farming way of life and spans two days filled with food, farm animals, and fun. This unique event showcases the more “antique” methods of farming!
- The Shakori Hills Farm is home to October’s Shakori Hills GrassRoots Festival. This family-friendly event is a celebration of music, dance, and art. Make a weekend out of it by grabbing a campsite before they are all reserved!
- The Pittsboro Street Fair is back for another day of October fun! This day is dedicated to local artisans of all kinds and is a terrific way to explore Chatham County’s favorite downtown area. Live music, inflatables, and loads of culinary delights await!
As summer departs and fall begins, residents of Ryan’s Crossing set out for exploration with festivals and foliage showcasing their delights. The beauty of a luxury home in this new neighborhood is matched by its surrounding community. Whether your preference is to dive into nature’s masterpieces or enjoy live music, there is an array of activities around each corner.
Thinking of relocating? Add the Ryan’s Crossing neighborhood to our fall tour! With numerous gorgeous floorplans to pick from, now is the perfect season to discover a beautiful new home!